Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'd rather be embroidering

Sometimes when I make food or cookies or anything, especially if it is a new recipe, I don't usually taste it as well as I would like. I'm distracted by the event of creating and presenting and then the ordeal of clean up and I am very poor at tasting and enjoying calmly. If I am entertaining, FORGET it!

So last Sunday when I made those cookies with the walnuts, I liked them okay, enough to enjoy them and mark the enjoyment, especially with walnuts. We did bring them to the show that night and people liked them, mostly hippies who hadn't eaten dinner. I had one during the night's event and noted my enjoyment then but I was distracted by my EggEggs embroidery project, the people and the music.

Monday I woke up having barely slept. The insomnia struck again and really put me off. Coupled with a minor low blood sugar event in the early a.m., I was feeling sorry for myself enough to call in sick. I got my eight hours sleeping until noon and dragged myself downstairs around 1:30 feeling out of sorts, kind of hungry, kind of not. I drooped around a little, poured myself a cup of coffee, thought better of it and after pouring it down the sink, I turned to the walnut acorn cookies which had evaded being packed up for the night at Feeding Tube Records and gobbled one down, followed by the remaining four acorn cookies.

I've never appreciated walnuts. I don't like a nut cookie. I enjoy the occasional thumbprint rolled in walnuts but that was my only oh, wow, walnuts pleasure moment. Monday afternoon I had my "wow-walnuts!" moment for reals. The time I took carefully mincing the cup and a half of nuts without them mushing into nut dust was worth the slightly sore back. David had described how the walnut flavor was deep and long-lasting and he was right. Even though the taste and the mouth feel bordered on heavy, the substantialness was perfect for me at that moment in the kitchen. Hearty, not mushy but soft enough not to be a crunchy trouble. The flair of the melted chocolate and nut dip wasn't needed but a happy accent.

I didn't appreciate this cookie the day I made it but the day-after gobbling has convinced me to go back to the wow-walnut neighborhood.

Don't forget to brush.

No comments:

Post a Comment